Tuesday, July 24, 2012

TST #21 - Saturday Playtime


In 2005, a friend asked me to join her at a local quilt shop called the Thread Bear for a “Saturday Playtime”.  This was a once a month gathering at which we would receive instructions for a patchwork block and pieces of feature fabric. The feature fabric was designed by a Canadian designer and was called “Ravenswood”. 

An admission fee entitled you to attend 12 sessions, receive instructions for a different block plan each session, fabric to complete that month’s block; and the company to enjoy it with.  We were to choose a background fabric. I chose a dark green from my stash.  In order to get the next set of instructions, you were to return the following month with the previous month’s block completed.  At the end of the 12 sessions, we would have enough to create a quilt. 

I attended all of the sessions, and completed half of the top and set it aside.  The balance of the blocks sat in my UFO pile until some years later (2008).  I took the unfinished top with me to a retreat hosted by my Guild, finished the top, sandwiched it and took it to my favorite long-arm quilter.  She did a wonderful job, but I did not like the style of the quilt, so I offered it to her. She really liked it and now it hangs in her studio. 

This is a picture of the finished quilt.

1 comment:

Vicki Miller said...

great earthy colours and lots of different techniques and interest.